Lower back pain is a very common and uncomfortable condition. Most of us will experience it in our lives, and some of us experience it frequently or severely. Like most conditions, there are numerous causes as to why it occurs. If you are searching for a lower back pain specialist in Shirley NY, contact Suffolk Chiropractic Rehabilitation & PT today!
What Is Lower Back Pain?
Lower back pain typically stems from sustaining injuries to the muscles and tendons in the back. The pain that results ranges from mild to severe. Depending on the severity of the pain, certain everyday activities or athletic endeavors may be difficult or impossible to do.
Considering lower back pain is one of the most common reasons for people to visit their doctor, it is safe to say that most of us will experience it at some point or another.
However, some factors can make some more susceptible than others. For example:
- Weight – Carrying excess weight puts excess pressure on joints.
- Age – The older you become, the more likely you are to experience back pain. The reason for this is that disks wear down as we age, causing pain and stiffness.
- Occupation – If your job requires you to engage in frequent physical activity, such as construction, then back pain can be frequent and often severe.
- Disease and Structural Problems – Diseases such as Fibromyalgia, Endometriosis, and Osteoarthritis can all cause lower back pain. Likewise, structural problems such as Scoliosis, Sciatica, and a Herniated Disc can bring pain and discomfort to your back.
The most common symptoms are muscle spasms, stiffness, and posture problems. Decreased range of motion, inability to maintain proper posture, and pain, whether a dull ache or sharp, can all present.
Although there are quite a few causes of lower back pain, the most common include:
- Spasms and Strains – These can come from sports-related activities, physical work required for a job, or everyday activities such as coughing, sneezing, and bending over. Overexerting muscles, tendons, and ligaments or sustaining an injury to any of them can lead to pain.
- Arthritis – Both Ankylosing Spondylitis and Osteoarthritis cause lower back pain, as well as stiffness and inflammation.
- Fractures – Sometimes, bones in the spine break, causing severe pain. Suffering a fall or being involved in a car accident can cause fractures to occur.
- Disk Issues – When experiencing disk troubles, the disks can bulge from the spine and put unhealthy pressure on nerves.Herniated disks or Degenerative Disk Disease.
- Spondylolisthesis – When experiencing this condition, the vertebrae in the spine slip out of place, resulting in pain in both the back and the legs.
Treatment and Prevention: Lower Back Pain Specialist in Shirley NY
At Suffolk Chiropractic Rehabilitation & PTwe offer several treatment options for lower back pain and know of a many ways of prevent it. The most common forms of treatment are medications, physical therapy, and surgery. As for prevention, the best ways are lifting heavy objects with proper form, maintaining a healthy weight, and strengthening your core and abdominal muscles.
Contact Us: Lower Back Pain Specialist in Shirley NY
At Suffolk Chiropractic Rehabilitation & PT, we hold the comfort of our patients of the highest importance. Our experts can help you find the pain relief that you deserve. If you wish to schedule an appointment with a lower back pain specialist in Shirley NY, contact us today.