Are you currently dealing with lower back pain? Whether caused by poor posture, a sedentary lifestyle, or underlying medical conditions, lower back pain can cause lots of limitations and discomfort in your life. However, there are treatments to alleviate your pain! Contact our Suffolk Chiropractic Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy office today to receive consultations and treatments from our lower back pain specialist in Shirley NY.
What Is Lower Back Pain?
Also known as lumbago, lower back pain is the pain found in the lumbar region, the area of the back that starts below the ribcage. Almost everyone, at some point in life, will experience lower back pain, from mild to more severe painful, uncomfortable pain. In fact, it is one of the most common reasons why people miss work in the U.S.
Causes Of Low Back Pain
It is detrimental to your treatment plan that you provide all the information about your daily activities, as well as any sports that you participate in, to your lower back pain specialist in Shirley NY.
Below we have listed a wide range of possible causes for your lower back pain:
- Postural problems
- Muscle or ligament strain
- Chronic conditions – Spinal stenosis, Ankylosing spondylitis, and Fibromyalgia
- Ruptured disks
- Accidents – The impacts of a car accident can tear or excessively stretch your back muscles and tear ligaments from their attachments.
- Backpack – Wearing a heavy backpack can put a strain on your lower back, especially if you carry it on a daily basis.
- Workout/Sports – Not paying attention to proper back protection while working out or playing sports can overextend your muscles, leading to low back pain.
Symptoms of lower back pain can range from a muscle ache to an uncomfortable shooting or stabbing sensation. At times, your back can feel a tingling sensation, as well. The pain can relieve on its own or with painkillers. However, chronic pain can last at least three months and will need to interfere with appropriate treatments.
You should not discontinue your daily activities. However, try lighter exercises and avoid lifting heavy objects. You should also start looking out for equipment that helps with posture.
If your pain doesn’t go away, it is best to consult with a doctor. Before starting your treatment plan, our specialists will examine your back to assess your ability to sit, stand, walk, and lift your legs. Necessary tests such as X-rays, MRI or CT, blood tests, and nerve studies can help determine the cause of your back pain.
Physical therapy is an effective way to treat your lower back pain. Your physical therapist can introduce exercises to help increase flexibility, strengthen back muscles, and improve one’s posture. You can also learn about how to perform daily activities without putting strains on your lower back. Your specialist may also refer you to surgical methods.
- Cortisone injections help decrease inflammation around nerve roots, and the pain relief usually lasts only a month or two.
- Radiofrequency ablation uses radio waves to damage the nearby nerves, which interferes with pain signals to the brain.
- Implanted nerve stimulators are devices that deliver electrical impulses to certain nerves to block pain signals.
Visit Our Office: Lower Back Pain Specialist in Shirley NY
Having lower back pains can be uncomfortable, but you don’t have to let it take away your life! Suffolk Chiropractic Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy have an excellent team of lower back pain specialist in Shirley NY that can provide you with the best care and unique treatment. Call us at (631) 772-7000 or visit our website to book your appointment!